It’s January and the fitness craze has begun! I was out shopping today and noticed most clothing retailers had their active wear merchandised front of shop, targeting those who have chosen fitness as a resolution for the new year.
When I made the decision to commit myself to being more physically active, it was hard (and still is a challenge) to schedule work out time. I go to school part time, work full time, love spending time with my friends and family, I also take music lessons and play bass guitar in a band.
Making time to squeeze in a daily workout requires desire, commitment, time management and most importantly, preparation!
Being prepared means having a gym bag filled with all of the goodies that I need to have a comfortable workout, as well as the items that I need to prepare myself for the rest of my day.
Here’s a list of my gym bag essentials:
- Adidas Strength Duffel Bag. A gym bag – very essential, right? My bag must have storage compartments, ventilated areas for shoes and clothes, and of course, it must be durable and easy to carry. Right now, I am on the hunt for a gym bag with the same features above, but is also washable.
- Secret Invisible Solid Deodorant. Helps me keep fresh and smelling lovely while I’m sweating buckets!
- Yes to Cucumbers On the Go Facial Towelettes. I really try to avoid wearing makeup while working out. It is not good for the pores and the dripping makeup/pancake face is not a good look! The YTC Towelettes are gentle, remove the majority of makeup, they don’t have a harsh perfume and the package has a resealable flap that makes them easy to travel with.
- Nivea Hydro Care Lip Balm. This lip balm is the best that I’ve tried as it provides long lasting moisture.
- Flip Flops. For fear of germs, I refuse to step into a gym shower without a pair of flip flops! You can get a pair of flip flops from stores like Old Navy or Joe Fresh for under $10.
- Brita Water Bottle. One of my favourite fitness purchases of 2013. It’s travel friendly and I can get filtered water no matter where I am! The best part is it makes me a bit of an environmental super hero because I don’t buy those wasteful plastic bottles of water *flexes super hero muscle*.
- Goody Headbands. These ouchless bands keep ‘the beast’ that is my hair out of my face. I have a lot of hair so I like to pull it back or up in a puff while working out. Each headband is durable for 3-5 uses (they eventually get stretched out).
- Nivea Creme. Nivea is my favourite brand of face and body cream. My skin is very dry especially in the winter, so I like intense moisture. This product is great for moisturizing before and after a workout.
- Lululemon The Small Towel. When I bought this towel, I asked the sales associate how to justify an $18 piece of fabric? (mainly because…I’m one of those difficult customers). I bought it anyway and it has become my favourite towel to use either on a yoga mat or as a face towel. It is absorbent and very easy to wash.
- Toiletry Bag. Great for bringing soap, makeup, a toothbrush, face wash or any other toiletries needed to get a fresh face on after the gym.
- Reusable Bag. Store dirty clothes, towels, flip flops and anything else that should be separated from the other essentials in my bag.
- Headphones. This is an essential item as there is nothing more important than listening to some motivating music while working out.
- Pad Lock. Do not leave your belongings in an unlocked locker! I’ve been to so many fitness centres where I have seen phones, iPods, clothing and shoes in unlocked lockers. Protect your stuff by purchasing a pad lock. If you can’t get to a store to purchase, many gyms have pad locks for purchase at their front desk.
Quite a few items, but each so very important to create a comfortable workout and ensure that I can easily prepare myself for the rest of my day. I find that preparing my bag the night before makes it easier to grab n’ go in the morning.
What are your gym bag essentials?